Sacred Pie: The Message Board!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2015 10:14 pm  #1

Job hunting

So what kind of work do we think Bob and Roon will find to get them off Setis III?

In terms of what they're able to put on a resumé, it's slim pickings. There's whatever odd-jobs they had 500-or-so years ago on an exploaded planet, then a stint as seekers of the Sacred Objects, then they were bounty-hunters on a prison planet that nobody has ever escaped from, and finally, they commanded ground troops for half a day in a battle that hasn't taken place yet. So the only thing they could believably boast of is their time on Mara's crew.... which they were fired from after their first day on the job.... sooooo, yeah....

Maybe Roonas could take their bank-roll and hit the poker tables (if Setis III has any poker rooms)? 

Edit: Oh, and by the way, am I the only one who thinks that big alien dude in the first panel looks like a giant Joltik?

Last edited by Angry Hatter (5/24/2015 10:36 pm)

5/25/2015 11:05 am  #2

Re: Job hunting

I only recognize Pokemon up to the 2nd or 3rd generation (whatever Pokemon Sapphire was...). I watch the cartoon with my son every once in awhile (new episodes each season, still!) and I have no clue who anyone is except fore the ever-present Pikachu.

I will also maintain that they probably copied me.

5/25/2015 4:32 pm  #3

I thought we was a giant man-turantula. Turmantula?

They've been bounty hunters several times, so sense in stopping now! That's a great way to pick up a quick buck!

5/26/2015 10:20 am  #4

Kench wrote:

I thought we was a giant man-turantula. Turmantula?

*slow ironic clap*

Kench wrote:

They've been bounty hunters several times, so sense in stopping now! That's a great way to pick up a quick buck!

That's the thing though, how much bounty work is there gonna be on a space station that doesn't require you to travel? You might be able to find jobs, but are the criminals going to be just hanging around on Setis III? On Tundar, it made sense that there was a lot of bounty work given that a huge part of the population was made up of convicted criminals, and there was nowhere for anyone to go; there was only one city on the entire planet and no way to escape. Setis III by contrast is basically a giant airport, so there's no reason for anyone with a bounty on their head to stick around for long.

Besides, Bob and Roonas didn't do THAT much bounty hunting. Roonas spent most of the time on Tundar cooped up nursing a bum leg, and Bob did more Repentant-ing than actual bounty work. Sid was the real breadwinner in that household. Also, from the sound of it you need to have a license to do legal bounty work, so that might not even be an option. And as always, bounty hunting is a dangerous business.

The thing to do might be to sign on to a ship due for Earth II or Kundon. It takes them about one third of the way to Mandarla, and it might be easier to find passage from there to their final destination.

6/03/2015 9:39 am  #5

Cliff hanger!

Perhaps it's Groot and Rocket in the second to last panel that's got Bob's attention?

I'm not wrong in assuming that it's not going to be peace and quiet, am I?

6/03/2015 4:31 pm  #6

If that bird pirate was worth 50k amd they couldn't afford a 300 cred ticket they kinda got screwed shouldn't they have about 10k?

6/03/2015 7:29 pm  #7

Those were my thoughts as well. The cut probably wasn't super equal. As new members of the crew, a fair cut would probably be around 5%-10%, but that would still leave them with 2500-5000 creds, well enough to afford tickets for 300 creds a piece. Maybe Phil dropped a zero? 3000 creds for a ticket would have made it make sense.

6/03/2015 7:42 pm  #8

.....You're also assuming said "cut" is based on the pre-"you're fired" cut previously agreed upon. Mara threw them a bone; whatever she had on hand in her coin pouch. And that's minus the percieved cost of the weapons and clothes she let them keep.

6/03/2015 10:18 pm  #9

Ok that makes sense, she did look pretty angry makes sense they only got a few creds so they could eat and sleep a few days. The biggest problem is they have no ID no past no history who hires people like that especially for security work.

6/03/2015 10:30 pm  #10

Also assuming a cred is still about a dollar 300 creds for a space ship ticket is less then a plane ticket today

Board footera