Sacred Pie: The Message Board!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2015 6:45 pm  #1

Pie Canon addition?

I feel like there is an homage going on in the top left of this page. Does that happen to be intentional?

http://sacredpie.com/pie/beginning23.jpg

mmm...pie cannon.

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" -Mark Twain

3/10/2015 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Pie Canon addition?

It took me a second to spock that easter egg

3/13/2015 6:42 pm  #3

Definitely intentional.  Spock was one of the greatest sci-fi characters out there and Star Trek was (obviously) a big influence on a lot of my love for science fiction in general.  I couldn't let Leonard Nimoy's untimely passing go by without some sort of tribute.

Sacred Pie's full of little Easter eggs like that all over the place. (There's a Star Wars reference on that very page!). One of the three scoundrels at the beginning of this chapter is a "wink wink, nudge nudge" at Leela from Futurama.  I don't even remember where tthe rest of them are....

http://sacredpie.com/pie/beginning3.jpg

Last edited by sacredbob (3/13/2015 9:21 pm)

3/15/2015 3:51 pm  #4

sacredbob wrote:

Sacred Pie's full of little Easter eggs like that all over the place. (There's a Star Wars reference on that very page!).

I knew I thought "blaster" was a little more Star Warsy than usual. I don't think any gun in Sacred Pie has been referred to as a blaster before that. 

sacredbob wrote:

I don't even remember where tthe rest of them are....

Do I detect a challenge? Very well then!

Let's start with some obvious ones. Like chapter 6, which is a direct spoof of Pokemon (with a Gundam reference thrown in), and the recently and gorgeously colored chapter 7, which is a mini spoof of Star Trek. Chapter 10 with the Bambolos is clearly based off of the Ewoks of Endor in Star Wars (and even has some Ewoks passing by with Han Solo, R2D2 and C3PO). Then there's Chewbacca's cameo in chapter 4, Lobo of DC Comics in the Segue, and Boba Fett in Chapter 14.

Now, for some that are more references than cameos. I HAVE THE POWER! He-Man reference in Chapter 9. Boss, de plane, de plane! Fantasy Island reference in Chapter 2. Chapter 3 introduces "basic" as the common language of the galaxy, which is pulled from Star Wars. "Good. Our first catch of the day", which is a line from Empire Strikes Back. Roonas' plan to escape the Grundarians in Chapter 15 is apparently attributed to Isaac Asimov (not that I'd know from where, I haven't read a lot of Asimov).

And some things that I THINK might be references to - and/or inspired by - other stuff. The Phrenot and possibly also Venederian races might be inspired by the Twi'lek race from Star Wars. The preferred mode of travel in the Sacred Pie universe is by using a Starburst engine, which sounds somewhat similar to Starburst, the mode of transportation used by the sentient space ships Leviathans in Farscape. Also lightsabers! Or, well, "pure energy blades", featured in various different places

Those are the ones I can think of, but there might be things I've missed or didn't know were references. Everyone feel free to add something to the list if you find anything!

4/27/2015 11:16 pm  #5

Angry Hatter wrote:

Those are the ones I can think of, but there might be things I've missed or didn't know were references. Everyone feel free to add something to the list if you find anything!

Well, we can add another one to the list.

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" -Mark Twain

4/28/2015 7:43 am  #6

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/angry_hatter/Caramel%20macchiato.jpg

4/28/2015 10:51 am  #7

I straight-up spit coffe on my desk.

Thank you?

4/28/2015 12:37 pm  #8

That poor guy, I totally understand...

Can't wait to see what's up with Old Man Objects over there!

4/28/2015 1:38 pm  #9

Kench wrote:

Can't wait to see what's up with Old Man Objects over there!

Did anyone else notice he's sort of got the Medallion set up on one of those retractable key rings on his belt?

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0171/2846/t/2/assets/slideOne.jpg?5312052343264564935

Last edited by Angry Hatter (4/28/2015 1:39 pm)

4/28/2015 9:06 pm  #10

I was imagining more akin to a very specialized fanny pack.

Board footera